Thursday, April 26, 2007

Light Bulb Hell!

This morning started off relatively normal then I read that the Conservative Government of Canada has announced details about its plan to ban "inefficient" incandescent light bulbs, as part of its national environmental initiative.

I know helping the environment is always an excellent goal except for one small challenge. I have photosensitivity epilepsy. Flashes and flickers cause me to have Grand Malle seizures. I have problems going outside my home because of my intolerance to the lighting in most buildings and the possibility of flashing lights on vehicles outside. For example, on garbage pick up day in my neighborhood, I must be vigilant not to see the flashing back up warning light of the garbage truck. To see the light will cause me to have a seizure.

My neurologist has prescribed special glasses that can cut some frequencies but I am unable to afford them until the end of July. They aren’t covered under our healthcare system.

What will this ban mean? Will the government regulate the frequencies of the bulbs sold? I know I am only one person but I do know many people complain they suffer from migraines because of fluorescent lights. While halogen lighting isn’t as bad as fluorescent it still seems to have a refresh or flicker.

I am all for getting green but will there must be exceptions, will I have to buy black market light bulbs or get a doctor’s note as not to be arrested by buying incandescent light bulbs.

I don’t drive an SUV. I recycle and keep the thermostat down to save energy. I try to be green.
Will the Conservative Government make me live in the dark

No comments:

Post a Comment