Saturday, April 14, 2007

Nappy Happy

Although I am one of the rare few who doesn't have cable or even satellite television I saw on Friday the worried faces of the View women when the beautiful and talented Halle Berry confirmed an upcoming fall movie in which she is starring is called "Nappily Ever After!"

I can't get over Barbara Walter's face as the offending word was spoken. Her normal gregarious smile tightens and her eyes grew concerned. What was going on with these women I thought. Why do they seem upset about NappilyEver After?

As the program continued I realized that some disdainful word had been spoken. Boy I must have missed something! What the hell were they talking about ! (Click here to see for yourself the incident.)

Nappy? Isn't that a compliment on the way you dress? Wait no, that's the term natty from the 1940's. (I watch a lot of black and white old movies.)

Nappy - that's what I used to say to my toddler when she rubbed her eyes and got cranky. "It's Nappy time, sweetheart". No that doesn't sound like something to get upset over.

Awww, I finally got it! Nappy is the British term for diaper. The ladies were appalled that a movie would be called "Diaper Ever Happy"! So I went along my blissful day yesterday thinking I figured it out.

Today I read the paper. There was an article with comments from Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice, the highest-ranking black woman in U.S. history. She commented on the April 4th incident where some guy named Imus referred to the mainly African-American Rutgers University basketball team as "nappy-headed hos".

So I looked up these terms and was surprise to find that apparently "nappy" is a derogatory way of referring to the tight curls many people of African background have in their hair. While "ho" is slang for "whore". I was familiar with 'ho' but I didn't realize 'nappy' the other term was bad.

If I ever encounter a cranky (child of color)* who is rubbing her eyes will I have to be careful not to address her as I would my own child and say, "It's Nappy time, sweetheart" for fear I was damaging her for life because of my choice of wording.

Don't get me wrong; Imus is a jerk that got what he dissevered for being so hateful. But words are just words, it's the hateful intent behind then that makes them wrong. We must remember that.

By the way if anyone out there knows where I can find a guide on acceptable words, please let me know where I can find it. I don't want to call someone something horrible at least without meaning it.

*Not sure what the acceptable politically correct term today is and what is color anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I guess Imus is now an official 'Dirtbag' in the true sense of the word! LoL

    Words are just alphabet soup until they hit the bowl! hahaha

    Im getting carried away with the puns! sorry.... Good blog 2 out of two!

    ReplyDelete