Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Brave Bloggers and technology

Today I read some interesting blogs.

I’ve never been much for reading the internet. Research, yes – for pleasure, no.

I am amazed at how people put themselves out there. I wonder if they realize their actions might have uncomfortable consequences?

I must admit I am a big chicken. Everything in my blog is and always will be truthful but I don’t want to hurt anyone I care about. So the names change.

Today for example the headlines around the world are all about the tragedy at Virginia Tech University. It really makes me wonder if reporting this type of incident so sensationally is more of a catalyst for other incidents.

When I was in high school in the mid 70’s our city of less than 100,000 people had two high school shootings in one year. Only one was actually reported in the news as the shooter was an irate neighbor who was tired of the students shortcutting across his lawn so he armed himself and shot at the students entering the school. None luckily were injured seriously and the only thing reported was he was being sent to the local mental health hospital for study. The other shooting more interestingly took place after the first and it was a student who brought a rifle to school. The story goes that basically the student fired 3 shots in the hallway and was stopped by a fellow student who snuck up behind him and stabbed him in the leg with a penknife. Various students witnessed this but although the police were present afterwards, no report was officially released in spite of the fact the local newspapers’ head offices were within a few blocks of the school.

I sometimes wonder how much things really have changed or is it just harder to hide facts now with all of our technology.

By the way, neither the gunman nor the guy who stopped him ever returned to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment